Jackaroo Wheels - various questions

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 25, 2007 at 22:50
ThreadID: 43640 Views:2190 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,
just upgraded from an 85 SE Jackaroo (2.2 Litre T/D with 430,000 km! - which I still have and have to sell now) to a 2001 SE 3 litre T/D. As we are planning a trip shortly I thought It wise to get a second spare wheel as the spares off the old Jackaroo are way to small. I got a wheel and tyre from the Tread Shed in Adelaide. The fellow asked me if I was a member of a Jackaroo club (No) as he has a heap (30 or 40) of Jackaroo wheels. Ours cost $40 and is in good nick. Also picked up a tyre in good cond for $30. I thought that was reasonable and the service was excellent.

Couple of questions for anyone who might know.
Ive borrowed a bead breaker off a mate but ive heard they are very difficult to use and most air compressors aren't powerful enough to reseat the new tyre anyway - comments?

Also - was considering taking a spare type (as well as the two spare wheels) and a couple of tubes. Is this overkill given the weight and room of a spare tyre? (upcoming trip is Birdsville/Innaminka/White cliffs area. Again - any comments welcome.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Russel & Mary - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 00:23

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 00:23
Dear mythicl, I think before you head off for a big trip, you should practise using the equipment that you have. If you're not really sure how to change a tyre on a rim take the bead breaker and wheel to a tyre joint and get them to show you. Get them to use your stuff including the air compressor that you would if stuck out the back of Bourke. By the sound of your question you haven't done this sort of thing so a half an hour watching experts at it will be time well spent. Get them to show you the tyre plug kits for a temporary fix on tubeless tyres as well as how to put a new tube in if the tubeless tyre is too damaged.
I hope this helps, as it is far easier to learn something in your own back yard ( so to speak) than 200 km away from anything in the middle of the night. Rus.
AnswerID: 229718

Follow Up By: mythicl - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 19:52

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 19:52
Thanks R&M. Ive watched a few bead breakers demonstrations and the basics are just that but having seen the experts do it and speaking to a few mates they have suggested it takes plenty of pracice and a fair amount of swearing to get it right. Interesting to note - we dropped the Roo of tonight at ARB to have a bull bar fitted and the bloke I spoke to reckons most of theair compressors available on the market don't have enough oomf to pop a bead. I will probably have a play on the old jackaroo tyre before we go.

Cheers
FollowupID: 490629

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 07:42

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 07:42
With careful motoring, the trip you mention does not have to be tough on tyres. Two spares would be good for that trip - but seeing you have the tyre changing hardware, one spare and a spare tyre case would do in my view.
AnswerID: 229731

Follow Up By: mythicl - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 19:54

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 19:54
Thanks Darian - I actually blew a tyre 2 years back on a trip back from Innaminka - was running HWY pressures at the time on the Mt Gammon backroad - learnt my lesson. :0)

FollowupID: 490630

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 08:00

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 08:00
Agree with all above comments

As you have single steel rims ( as opposed to split rims ) a RnR Beadbreaker is by far the easier tool to have.

If you have borrowed Tyrepliers, then it is hard work on single steel rims.

I have had tyre pliers for years and have now reverted back to split rims after having mega issues with tubeless tyres.

Two spares will be ample. Just run your tyres between 28 and 32 psi on the dirt
( depending on your load) and drive to conditions.

Cheers
AnswerID: 229740

Reply By: Dion - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 08:02

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 08:02
Rims for tubeless tyres don't accept tubes very well. If you can get the teat through the hole, after inflation there is a lot of stress and creases in the tube around the point of the teat being attached to the tube.
If using a tube within a tubeless tyre and tubeless rim, speed should be reasonable slow, and application should be last resort only to get yourself out of a perilous predicament.
Carryin a suitable sized tyre casing is good insurance.

Cheers,
Dion.
AnswerID: 229741

Reply By: Steve63 - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 18:02

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 18:02
Interesting. When I was looking for rims for a Jack in 2000 Holdern wanted $659 and wreakers wanted ~200 a rim. So you have done really well there.

I would use repair plugs as a first option. You don't need to take the tyre off then. If I do need to remove the tyre I use a Hi Lift Jack and a set of good tyre levers. I have recently changed to split rims and tubes.

The air compressor will reseat the tyre but positioning is important as they don't have the huge volume that is available in a shop. (Unless you have air lockers with a tank).

For a Jack it is not a bad idea to take a spare tyre. It is is not always easy to get something suitable and most places will put a tyre on that you supply. We found that even places that usually stocked suitable tyres didn't always have them. After this happened a couple of times we just took our own tyre. No probs then. I used to really annoy me. You go into a shed with 100+ tyres. 95 of them are to suit a Patrol or LC. I gave up in the end and got a LC.

Steve
AnswerID: 229857

Follow Up By: mythicl - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 19:56

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 19:56
Good point about having a spare so someone else can change it - hadn't really considered it. I spoke to the ARB fellow this evening when we dropped the new Roo off for its new b/bar and he agreed that the patching kits are actually pretty easy to use. Which is fine if the tyre is in one piece :0)

Cheers
FollowupID: 490631

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 20:34

Monday, Mar 26, 2007 at 20:34
I had a go on a steel wheel off my Campomatic traikler - same size tyre as the Jack - I made a towbar tube type bead breaker as seen on the Lcool site - the one that employs the car's bottle Jack - popped the tyre off easily - liften one side of the tyre with my new levers - back on to the rim not an issue with the levers and a mallet, plus a little soapy water. Put a ratchet strap round the tyre to fatten it up a little - the ARB compressor did the rest. I did damage the tyre bead a little, while getting this practice - and not sure how I would go avoiding scratches on the Jack's pretty alloy rims !!
AnswerID: 229888

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Mar 27, 2007 at 01:14

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2007 at 01:14
was that the alloy rim or the steel ?? either way its a damn good price for a jack rim!!
AnswerID: 229947

Reply By: mythicl - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2007 at 08:30

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2007 at 08:30
I thought so myself but they had 30 or 40 of them and seemed a bit desperate to get rid of some so Im guessing that's why I got a good price. Steel rim by the way - in very good nick.

Cheers
AnswerID: 229962

Reply By: Member - Glenn Cohen C (WA) - Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 21:39

Monday, Apr 16, 2007 at 21:39
Gday Mythicl,
There is a way to make the tyre re-seal for a better word, so you can use your compressor on it, but it involves a can of flammable liquid that is sprayed into the tyre and lit, the tyre closes right up. Just another bush trick if you are stuck without anything else to use. LAST RESORT ONLY.
AnswerID: 233889

Sponsored Links